Fall Festivities on the Cape
One of the biggest fall festivals in all of Cape Cod—no, all of New England—is almost here! The Wellfleet Oysterfest, now in its 18th year, will take place rain or shine on October 13th and 14th. This community-oriented festival has become a favorite for both locals and visitors and is loaded with all the deliciously fresh local shellfish and beer that one could ever want. Food vendors include representatives from the best Wellfleet oyster and shellfish farms and local restaurants like Mac’s Seafood and PJ’s. Add in the annual Shuck ‘n Run 5K Road Race, live music, a Pickle Ball Round Robin Tournament, dozens of local arts and crafts vendors, educational booths and the famous Oyster Shuck Off and you’ve got yourself a very busy weekend. If you’re looking to get in on all the action, make sure you grab tickets here and bring your appetites.
Are Wellfleet oysters really all that? Yes, yes they are. But don’t take my word for it. Try them and see for yourself! This event is big, with thousands of visitors descending on Wellfleet’s tiny Main Street. My advice is to get there early, check the weather (fall on Cape Cod can be 70s and sunny or 50s and pouring rain, and be prepared for a lot of people. Here’s a quick rundown of the 2018 Wellfleet Oysterfest’s event highlights:
Saturday, October 13th
- 10AM: Oysterfest kickoff with announcements and information at the main stage.
- 10AM – 5PM: SPAT Booth is open with lots of great Oysterfest merchandise for sale and information about the local shellfishing and aquaculture industries.
- 10:00 am – 12:00PM: Pickle Ball Round Robin, the registration fee is $10 and prizes are awarded to all participants!
- 1:00 pm – 3:00PM: Shuck-Off Preliminaries – Let the opening begin….Main Stage, Town Hall Parking Lot….be there!
Sunday, October 14th
- 9:00AM: Shuck ‘n Run 5K Road Race – You can find details HERE!
- 1:00PM – 3:00PM: Shuck-Off Finals – the final round of Cape Cod’s famous Oyster Shucking Competition. Prizes will be awarded: 1st Place-$1,000, 2nd Place-$500, 3rd Place -$250.
HOPE TO SEE YOU IN THE CROWD!